Get to Know QWO
A cutting edge cellulite treatment without the cutting
Board-certified plastic surgeon John Roussalis, MD and Premier Cosmetic Surgery team are thrilled to announce access to QWO®, the only injectable product FDA-approved to minimize the appearance of cellulite on the buttocks. Cellulite is one of the most prevalent, bothersome, and traditionally difficult-to-treat cosmetic concerns for women. A vast majority of women are affected by the presence of cellulite in the lower body and buttocks region, which shows a dimpled, textured appearance on the skin’s surface. While cellulite is completely natural and normal, many women would instead prefer the appearance of smoother, firmer skin in these areas. The introduction of QWO® is an exciting non-surgical development in the treatment of cellulite, and we encourage adult women to consider this new injectable as a potentially effective way to achieve smoother-looking buttocks.
What is Qwo?
- The active ingredients in QWO®, enzymes called collagenases, are believed to act on the fibrous collagen bands that are largely responsible for creating the appearance of cellulite.
- Once injected into the tissue, QWO® works to release these bands, which pull down on and dimple the skin.
- QWO® is also thought to redistribute fat cells and stimulate the formation of thinner collagen fibers, further enhancing the quality of results.
- QWO® injections should be performed over a series of three treatment sessions, spaced three weeks apart to produce optimal cellulite reduction. Best of all, there is no downtime after QWO® treatment, which means you can return to your usual activities immediately.
What Is Cellulite? What Causes It?
- The presence and severity of cellulite is not determined by the quantity of fat a person has, rather cellulite is the combined result of genetics, fat distribution, enlarged fat cells, and/or thinner skin. In individuals with prominent cellulite, fibrous bands that connect the fat, muscle, and skin create points of tension on the skin’s surface—while enlarged fat cells also press against the skin—forming a lumpy, dimpled texture.
- For women, cellulite is generally most prevalent in the lower body and buttocks region. Although cellulite is not a medical concern, it is commonly a cosmetic issue among women who desire smoother, firmer thigh and buttock contours.
- Due to the fact that cellulite is largely a structural problem within the tissue, fat reduction techniques, such as liposuction, can not address the root causes of cellulite. Only treatment with QWO® have been shown to release the problematic fibrous bands to effectively smooth the appearance of cellulite.
How Is QWO® Treatment Performed?
- Before treatment with QWO® can proceed, a consultation with Dr. Roussalis is required. During this appointment, Dr. Roussalis will evaluate your concerns, review your medical history, and determine whether you are a good candidate for QWO® injections.
- Injections are performed in the office and typically take about 10 minutes. During treatment, QWO® is injected into the tissue below each area of cellulite in the buttocks region.
- Two more treatments are then performed three and six weeks after the initial treatment to complete the prescribed series.
Are There Side-Effects from QWO® Treatment?
- Side-effects after QWO® injections are generally mild and temporary and may include some redness, swelling, bruising, warmth, itching, hardness, and soreness in the treatment areas. In clinical trials, participants did not require any post-treatment downtime after receiving their injections. Any residual bruising response typically lessens with each treatment session.
What Results Can I Expect After QWO® Treatment?
- Results of your QWO® treatment series should start becoming evident within 28 days after your last session. Be aware that it may take up to 10 weeks for the final outcome of treatment to be revealed.
- The majority of patients who receive all three QWO® treatments see a visible improvement in the appearance of their cellulite—the buttocks generally look smoother and feature a noticeable reduction in dimpling.