Men and women who have undergone a dramatic weight loss through either diet and exercise or bariatric surgery, are often left with excess, sagging skin from their bigger frames. After the hard work of getting the weight off and getting physically healthy, it can be very devastating to then not feel like you can show off and enjoy your new figure due to the excess skin. Arms, breasts, the mid-section, buttocks and thighs are the most commonly effected by excess skin.
Body contouring surgery after major weight loss can remove the excess skin and tighten the remaining to reveal all the success of your hard work. Ideal candidates should be in good physical and mental health, at and maintaining a steady, normal weight, non-smokers, and have realistic expectations for the procedure and it’s potential outcome.
The first step in your body contouring journey is the consultation. During your consultation with your board-certified Plastic Surgeon, you will be asked a number of questions about your medical history, medication, supplement and drug use. You will be asked about your goals, expectations and concerns for the procedure. Your health will be evaluated and your Plastic Surgeon will walk you through the procedure and its risks. This is the time to ask as many questions as you can think of in order to make an informed decision. As with all surgical procedures, there are risks which need to be carefully considered.
The body contouring procedure itself has a number of variables, as it is catered to meet each individual patient’s needs. A body contouring procedure may include any number of the following procedures: Breast Lift, Thigh Lift, Arm Lift, Lower Body Lift of the abdomen, buttocks and groin area. No matter the areas you opt to get treated, you’ll first be put under anesthesia. The incisions will be made in varying lengths depending on the procedures you are opting for and the amount of work necessary.
Dr. Roussalis will be mindful to make the incision as inconspicuous as possible so that any scars may be easily hidden by clothing.
Body Contouring Procedure Benefits:
- Specialized procedure catered to each individual patient's needs
- Removal of excess skin and skin tightening highlighting your body's features
Results and Recovery
- Results will be visible in some extent immediately, though they will be further revealed as you continue to heal and the swelling goes down.
- Your Plastic Surgeon will give you specific instructions and activity restrictions to follow as you heal.
- If you experience any chest pain or shortness of breath, seek medical attention immediately.
- If you continue a healthy diet and lifestyle, you should be able to maintain and enjoy your results for a long time to come.